Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney has said a contemporary wave of US tariffs on Canada is a “miscalculation” designed to “hurt and divide us”, after commerce talks broke down late on Friday.
Carney said he walked away from a deal because he was not ready to “compromise Canada’s sovereignty”.
“They asked too much and they offered too little,” Carney said in a speech to Canadians on Saturday morning.
The prime minister added that Canada will match US tariffs “dollar-for-dollar” from 8 September, including levies on metal, dairy, home equipment and electronics. Donald Trump has yet to remark.
Both international locations were optimistic of a deal earlier in the week, but talks collapsed on Friday night time after both sides accused the other of making last-minute adjustments.
Now that talks have damaged down, Canada will be hit with new 50% US tariffs on a vary of Canadian items, in addition to present US tariffs on Canadian metal, aluminium, cars and lumber.
The prime minister said Canada was retaliating “reluctantly” to shield its pursuits. Details of the counter-measures will be launched in the coming days, he said.
Carney’s speech on Saturday is his first tackle to Canadians after he announced late on Friday night time that deal would not be reached, accusing the Americans of making “last-minute changes” that were “unfair” and “uneconomic”.
US negotiators, meanwhile, accused Canada of making “new demands and walk backs” on phrases which had been agreed earlier in the week.
This breaking information story is being up to date and more particulars will be printed shortly. Please refresh the web page for the fullest model.
You can obtain Breaking News on a smartphone or pill via the BBC News App. You can also observe @BBCBreaking on X, exterior to get the newest alerts.
Source hyperlink